Who doesn’t daydream about finding a lucky pot of gold at the end of the rainbow after a rainy day? Now that March has arrived, celebrate St. Patrick’s by using Kool Tak foils to transform a plain metal pot into your own treasure at the end of the rainbow. Covered with gold foil candies, this project would make a fun gift for a teacher or as a thank you to someone special. And once you play with Kool Tak foils you’ll want to add the shine of foils to everything!
Small metal pot
Smoothfoam ball – 6”
Gold foil covered candy
Gold acrylic paint, paint brush, Westcott Brand scissors / kraft knife / cutting mat, paint pens – green and black, permanent marker, chopstick, notepaper sheet, glue
1. Draw a 2” shamrock on the sheet of notepaper and cut it out to make a template. Cut two pieces of Kool Tak™ Premium Extreme Double-Sided Tape and press them together sticky side to sticky side. Trace the shamrock template onto the tape with the permanent marker. Cut out. Repeat to make enough shamrocks to go all around the metal pot.
2. Peel the white paper release sheet from one side of a shamrock to expose the adhesive. Adhere the shamrock to the pot and press well. Apply all the remaining shamrocks.
3. Remove the white paper release sheet from one of the shamrocks on the pot. The foil packages of shiny transfer foil sheets come as an assortment of various colored solids and patterns and are each basically a clear plastic release sheet with a dull side and a shiny side. Select a green foil sheet and press it shiny side up / dull side down onto the adhesive and rub well. Lift and peel off the foil sheet. The clear plastic release sheet lifts off leaving the shiny foil adhered to the shamrock. Repeat with the remaining shamrocks. (**Tip – You can use every little bit of the foil transfer sheet until all you have left is the clear release sheet.)
4. Add details to the pot by drawing squiggles with the green paint pen. Outline each shamrock with black paint pen.
5. Make a handle by poking the chopstick into the Smoothfoam ball. Paint the ball with gold paint. Let dry then apply a second coat. Remove the chopstick when you’re done painting.
6. Draw a simple arc on the sheet of notepaper and cut it out to make a template. Trace the template onto the piece of foam core then cut it out with the kraft knife.
7. Cut a slot in the ball with the kraft knife for the foam core arc. Check the fit and then remove the foam core arc for now.
8. Cut a piece of Kool Tak™ Ultra Clear adhesive sheet a little bigger than the foam core arc. Peel the white release paper sheet and apply the Kool Tak™ Ultra Clear to the foam core. Trim the extra Kool Tak™ Ultra Clear with the kraft knife. Use the tip of the kraft knife to cut six stripes into the Kool Tak™ Ultra Clear. Peel the pink release sheet from the bottom stripe to expose the adhesive. Apply red foil as in Step 3. Repeat with each of the remaining stripes using different colored foils to make the rainbow. Apply Kool Tak™ Ultra Clear and foils to the back side of the foam core arc to finish the rainbow.
9. Fit the rainbow into the slot in the ball and secure with glue. Push the ball into the pot.
10. Finish up by using Kool Tak™ 3D Foam Pads (circles) to attach candies to the ball.
Share the luck and the candy by making several of these cheery pots to give as gifts. That way everyone can have their own bit of rainbow! Have a lovely St. Patrick’s Day! – Carmen